EXCEDE (ceftiofur crystalline free acid) Sterile Suspension is indicated for the treatment of lower respiratory tract infections in horses caused by susceptible strains of Streptococcus equi subspecies zooepidemicus (S. zooepidemicus). S. zooepidemicus is the most common bacterial pathogen isolated from equine respiratory infections.
EXCEDE (CEFTIOFUR) for Horses is the first and only FDA-approved antibiotic for horses that offers a full course of therapy in just two doses. EXCEDE (ceftiofur crystalline free acid) reduces the treatment requirements from 10 once or twice daily doses of a comparative antibiotic, such as oral trimethoprim-sulfonamide (TMS), to just two doses. This makes treating equine respiratory infections less stressful for the horse and more convenient for the veterinarian and horse owners.
First and Only Sustained-Release Antibiotic
- EXCEDE is the first and only antibiotic FDA-approved for horses that offers a full 10-day course of therapy in just two treatments.
- By providing 10 days of therapy in just two treatments, veterinarians can optimize compliance and convenience.
- Fewer administrations mean less potential for missed doses.
- Comparative treatments require 10 once or twice daily doses. Maintaining multiple treatments at consistent intervals can cause added stress for the horse as well as for those administering the medication. For a full course of therapy, your horse must receive the full dose at regular intervals as prescribed by a veterinarian.
Safe and Effective
- The use of EXCEDE provides veterinarians peace of mind, knowing they have selected a product that has been demonstrated to be both safe and effective in horses.
DOSING AND ADMINISTRATION
Shake well before using. Administer two intramuscular injections to the horse, four days apart (96 hours), at a dose of 1.5 mL per 100 pounds of body weight (3.0 mg/lb. or 6.6 mg/kg). A maximum of 20 mL per injection site may be administered. In clinical studies, administration of less than 10 mL per injection site minimized injection site reactions. Therapeutic drug concentrations are maintained for six days after the second injection or a total of 10 days from the beginning of treatment against S. zooepidemicus. Vial contents should be used within 12 weeks after the first dose is removed.
- EXCEDE Sterile Suspension is available in 100-mL and 250-mL vials.